Thursday, April 10, 2008

Quite a turnaround

For as insanely and hideously awful as last week was, this week has been quite the opposite.


I previously wrote about Chris coming for a visit early in the week. It was so nice to see him. Any time someone travels to spend time with me, it makes me feel good. And Chris really is a good person, too. For example, Monday night we were at home, and Landon messaged me to see if I had, by chance, a hacksaw to cut a dowel rod. I didn't, of course, but I did have an assload of old knives that would do the trick. Since Landon had been a bit under the weather for the previous couple days, Chris took it upon himself to handle the "sawing" himself. Right up to cutting his finger open.


That's just like Chris, though, to take on anything to help someone, even a relative stranger. I was sad when he had to leave on Tuesday morning, and I can't wait to see the photos he took in the parks.

Tuesday, my ex-wife called me and told me that she had around 30 rolls of film that we had taken over the time we were dating and married developed and was going to give me CDs of them all. I cried a little over the fact that she thought enough of me still to do that. I am quite grateful to her for it.


Also Tuesday, Landon, Jerod and I went out for a couple pitchers of beer (and then on to another bar for a bucket of beer... ugh...). It was the first time the three of us had hung out together since last summer, and it was such a good time. There had been a lot of awkwardness over things since then, and it was nice to see that erased. I really count on them both more than even I sometimes realize.


And it's just nice in general that since Jerod has graduated, there has been such a relief of tension. It feels like my brother has returned after a long journey.


I also found resolution in the situation involving a friend that I wrote about Saturday. It's funny that such a horrible situation actually stems from not wanting to hurt the other's feelings. We both let some things bottle up inside us instead of actually expressing when we were angry at each other at the moment. So then that anger just came pouring out at the most inopportune time. We've vowed to not let that happen again, and I think our friendship will be stronger for it.

In all, it's been a time of great growth, and I hope it continues.

No comments: