Thursday, February 14, 2008

I hate happy endings






For real. Don't get me wrong. I'm the same sap as most every other homo out there who cries at romantic comedies and bawls his eyes out watching "Dreamgirls."

And on this, the most unholy of days, the romance and happy endings are EVERYWHERE... on TV, in the theaters... in commercials, for god's sake.

Not in my DVD player, though.

I wrote a posting a while back about my old movies disappearing in a move. I ordered two of them yesterday from Amazon.com, and I can't wait for them to show up. They're considered classic love stories, but, neither have happy endings.

"Casablanca" is the first. Now, I have to admit right upfront that this is my favorite movie of all time. I can watch it anywhere, anytime, anyplace, with anyone, any number of times and never get bored with it.

I think the biggest reason for my love of this movie, aside from the fact that Humphrey Bogart could totally GET IT, is the fact that it does not have a happy ending. The hero does the right thing, which means NOT getting the girl, and has to disappear into the fog. Amazingly real. At least, in my experience.

"An Affair to Remember" is the second movie. Yes, it's responsible for the whole "Sleepless in Seattle" phenomenon that has sent us a whole assload (an actual unit of measurement... look it up) of crappy, happy-ending love films.

But I don't consider "Affair" to have a happy ending. Sure, Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr end up together. Eventually. All it takes is her losing the use of her legs.

Yes, if she hadn't been looking up while walking to the Empire State Building, they would have met, and everything would have been fine. But that's my point. In real life, we all make choices that cause us anguish. Nothing ever is perfect; no one gets to ride off into the sunset with Prince Charming.

No happy fucking endings.





No comments: