Thursday, June 12, 2008

I can't believe it

It's that time of year again when I gear up to be a counselor at Missouri Boys State. I leave in the morning to go teach citizenship, personal responsibility and a little bit of journalism to some of the finest young men Missouri has to offer.

This is my 15th year returning on the staff, and the 16th summer that I have spent in Warrensburg for the program. It's not always been easy. I've missed Father's Day every year, with the exception of the two years that my ex-wife brought my kids to the program. Those were truly highlights of my life.

And it seems that it gets to be a bit harder each year to commit to using the vacation time for the program. And each year I find myself dragging just a bit more than the previous year by the end of the week (hey, I'm not as young as I used to be!).

But when it's all said and done, it's nice to walk away from the week with a feeling of satisfaction, knowing that I have done my part to help influence another generation of leaders in this state.

That all being said, it's time to finish packing!

No comments: