Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Screw Sprint

I destroyed my phone over the weekend. Well, not really destroyed it so much as dropped it into water. Which really sucks because, as most of you know, I am addicted to my phone. As in, I'm always either on it, texting on it, or using it to check e-mail or MySpace or Facebook. So not having it the last couple days has left me feeling naked.

Landon had suggested that I try putting it into the fridge overnight, so I did that Monday night. Late last night, I took it out and tried turning it on. (I'll say at this point that powering up is not a problem with it. In fact, the power button is the only one that works.) To my surprise, it actually worked. For a few minutes. I could use all the buttons and navigate through all the menus. Unfortunately, the fact that about 30 texts that I had missed over the previous few days all started coming through at once prevented my from getting the opportunity to actually use the damn thing. I didn't even get a chance to read all the texts as they were coming through. Why? because the piece of shit apparently shorted back out after about 4 minutes.

So I got online and searched for some tips to try to get the phone back up and working. Several sites suggested putting the phone in a bowl of rice. So I did that and put the whole thing back into the fridge. I'm waiting until tonight to check the results.

Meanwhile, I was not freaking out about this too much because as of June 1, I was due for a new phone from Sprint, anyhow. As soon as I got home from work yesterday, I got on Sprint's site and really checked out their new phone, the Instinct. It looks a lot like the iPhone, but everything I've read about the Instinct says that it's better in a lot of ways.

Anyhow, after checking it out and weighing the options and the cost (after the rebate, the Instinct is going to cost me about $70 less than an iPhone would), I went ahead and ordered the damn thing. Sprint accepted my payment and sent me a receipt saying that the phone would arrive in 2-4 business days.

Today, I went back to the Sprint site to check the status of the order, only to find out that the phone was backordered. WTF?

I called Sprint, and come to find out, they're out of stock and won't have any in for at least one week, possibly two. To me, that sounds more like 3 or 4. I feel sorry for the two women that I talked to, but eventually, out of the goodness of their hearts, they agreed to pony up $25 toward my account. Awwww.... How sweet.

So now I am waiting and seriously considering cancelling the order and still going with the iPhone. Meantime, I'm telling all my friends and anyone on the Internet who will listen: If you're looking for Instinct, don't look to Sprint.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you omit one very important piece of information: where did you drop your phone? in the toilet?