Sunday, June 8, 2008

Moving on

My ex-wife got married again yesterday, and I am ecstatic for her. At least, I think she got married. It was supposed to happen yesterday, and I haven't heard anything contrary.

While I am ecstatic for her, I can't help but be a little sad and scared, too. Sad because it really and finally brings to a close a part of my life that while painful, was powerfully significant. Scared because I think there always has been this little piece of me that thought, "Well, if nothing else, if you both are incredibly lonely, I bet she would take you back."

I've never thought that I would want that, nor have I ever thought that she would want that. I guess I have to use a baseball analogy here to explain. A lot of eighth-inning setup pitchers are lights-out. Then, when they try to be closers, they bomb. Why? A lot of people think it has to do with the fact that when you are a set-up man, there always is someone behind you. When you are the closer, it's just you.

So I guess it's time to take the mound, close out the game of life that I've been playing and get ready to hit the field another day!

No comments: