Saturday, January 19, 2008

Desert island albums

So here's the premise: Some people were talking at work the other day about the 25 albums you would want to have with you if you were marooned on an island. I presume that said island comes with an endless supply of batteries. Or a power plant to keep the CD player running, whichever. I've learned it's best to not ask too many questions.

I believe there were a couple rules involved, such as no greatest-hits compilations and no live albums. I'm down with the whole no greatest-hits thing, but in my list, live albums still are included.

Without any further ado, here are Jason's 25 for the island, in no particular order (except for No. 25; that reason will be obvious once you get there):

Nirvana : Unplugged in New York :: A haunting album that masterfully captures the angst and pain of an artist (Kurt Cobain), as well as an entire generation.

Van Morrison : Moondance :: Jazzy, wistful, romantic... Just cool, dammit.

Bon Jovi : Slippery When Wet :: One of the first albums I ever owned, on cassette tape. I begged and pleaded with my grandmother until she bought it for me.

Ace of Base : The Sign :: No seriously, it's really on the list. One of those albums that perfectly captured a period of time in my life and helped me through a rough time. Specifically, admitting to myself that I am gay way back in 1993...

The Killers : Sams Town :: I don't know what it is about this album, but after I bought it last spring, I didn't take it out of my car's CD player for about 3 months. No lie. Had little critical acclaim, and even less commercial appeal, but I still love it!

U2 : Achtung Baby :: To me, the band's greatest album. A lot of people would call me insane for not crediting The Joshua Tree as the band's best work, but Achtung Baby just does it for me. The guitar riffs blow me away.

Bill Withers : Just As I Am :: Gotta have some soul, and Withers' first album was great, including the single, "Ain't No Sunshine."

Queen : A Night at the Opera :: Band with a flair for the dramatic takes on rock opera. Brilliant!

Guns N' Roses : Appetite for Destruction :: Hair rockers' first album turned my world upside down when I first heard Slash tearing up his guitar on the introduction to "Sweet Child o' Mine."

Scissor Sisters : Ta-Dah :: Because even if I don't feel like dancing, I'm going to need to!

Madonna: Ray of Light ::
Duh.

Mike Watt : Ball-Hog or Tugboat :: Most people probably never have heard this one. If you haven't, you're missing out. It's brilliant. Speaking as a child of the '70s ...

The White Stripes : Get Behind Me Satan ::
Just one of the best alt-rock albums EVER.

Nanci Griffith : Flyer ::
For the quiet moments, when I need a folk singer with a crystalline voice to bring me some clarity.

Nat King Cole : The Christmas Song :: Christmas comes everywhere, so I'd definitely need some carols crooned. And while I LOVE Nat King Cole's version of the title song, I have to admit that his rendition of "O Holy Night" brings tears to my eyes.

Fleetwood Mac : Rumors :: Not a bad track on the album, this one is a definite must-have.

The Rolling Stones : Let it Bleed :: The Stones are the only bad/artist by whom I would need to have more than one album, and this one opens with my favorite Stones song, "Gimme Shelter."

The Rolling Stones : Some Girls :: Opens with "Miss You" and ends with "Shattered." From start to finish, my favorite Stones album.

The Who : Who's Next :: Flat-out, pissed-off rock. Love it.

Michael Jackson : Thriller :: It's all been downhill from here for the King of Pop, but damn, when he was good, he was really, really good.

Elton John : Tumbleweed Connection :: One of the few albums I can listen to over and over and over and over... My favorite song is "Amoreena," which is playing during the opening of one of my favorite movies, "Dog Day Afternoon."

The Beatles : Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band :: Just about the only Beatles album that I like, and I REALLY like it.

Dreamgirls : The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack :: If I made this list and didn't include some showtunes, I would have to turn in my gay card. Plus this soundtrack is amazingly soul-stirring.

Dixie Chicks : Home :: Surprise! If I am going to include a country album, it's going to be this acoustic-bluegrass masterpiece.

And finally...

Gabriel Faure : Requiem :: This piece is called "death's lullaby." Exile or not, when it's time to give up the ghost, I want to be listening to this as I drift away.


So there you have it, my 25 favorite albums. Anything on here that you find totally out of place? What would you replace it with?

1 comment:

carrie said...

I LOVE that Ace of Base is on your list! That's all.