Saturday, January 19, 2008

This queen vs. a Disney princess


As part of movie day with the kids, I am sitting right now watching "Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time." As I sit here, I have to wonder, is a second Cinderella sequel REALLY all that necessary?

As a child, I think every girl (and by girl, I of course, mean actual girls, as well as all future homos) in America had to be a fan of Cinderella. How could you not? Beautiful-but-downtrodden girl's fairy godmother comes to the rescue, transforms her for one night, where she is swept off her feet by a prince? The dress, the carriage, the dress, the glass slippers, the prince... Did I mention the dress? It melts the heart.

(Granted, the talking mice are more than a little disturbing, but hey, even I can look past vermin for a good romance story.)

Anyhow, I just find it, well, vulgar, that Disney would take such a charmingly simple and magical story and turn it into a damn franchise. Cinderella wasn't greedy. She didn't marry the prince for his money; she married the prince because she loved him. The Disney company, though, apparently has no reservations getting in bed with our bank accounts.

No comments: