Friday, January 18, 2008

Important words

I know it's weird that I am posting the words of a prayer at 3 a.m., but for some reason, this just came to me. Had a couple of realizations tonight, the biggest of which is that I deserve to be happy, too, dammit... But that will never happen unless I am happy with myself. I've got a lot of work to do, but (to sound totally cliche) a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. To that end, I leave you with words attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, a 13th Century Italian monk:

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.
Sweet dreams to all!

2 comments:

mamakohl said...

Waaaaaaaaay more than my luggage.

carrie said...

Of course you deserve to be happy, silly! I would've told you that a long time ago if you had asked. :)