Tuesday, January 22, 2008

On Heath Ledger



I'm saddened by the death today of actor Heath Ledger.

For one, he was a great performer who didn't allow Hollywood to simply turn him into a product. In today's consume-everything world, that's really saying something.

No reports right now really link him to any substance abuse problems, so the fact that he was found with several over-the-counter sleeping pills near his bed seems to indicate either suicide or an accidental overdose; police do not suspect foul play.

It's my hope that the latter theory proves to be correct. I would hate to think that an actor who did so many wonderful things for the gay community with his performance in "Brokeback Mountain" would take his own life.

This news certainly will cast a pall over the July release of "The Dark Knight," which I was (and still am) eagerly anticipating.

4 comments:

The Soviet said...

tres sad. he really took me by surprise in brokeback and was really curious to see what he'd do with his future roles. i think he was just starting to find his groove with acting.

sigh.

Jason Lewton said...

Indeed, my friend!

Anonymous said...

If you didn't get a chance to see him in "I'm Not There" you really should see it. It is a true art film and Heath held his own against some powerful arthouse actors.
He made "Brokeback Mountain" what it is and I first noticed him during "Monster's Ball." I am also awaiting the new Batman movie with mych anticipation. I salute him and his acting prowess.

Jason Lewton said...

I've really been wanting to see "I'm Not There," Kurt, I just haven't had a chance yet. And, yes, he was awesome in a brief, but pivotal, role in "Monster's Ball."